Hhhmmm... What to do when all my guys are sick with the flu? Catch up on the blog and make homemade vanilla, of course! I read about making homemade vanilla a few weeks ago and kept thinking that when I had some free time (i.e. when the guys decide to take a nice, long nap), I'd try my hand at making it.
I ran out of my fantastic vanilla paste about a week ago and when I went to the store to buy more, not only was I disappointed with the selection, but also happy to see whole vanilla beans for sale. So, I bought some unremarkable vanilla extract to tide me over, plus a jar of vanilla beans in the hopes that I'd have time to make some of my own vanilla soon.
Apparently, it's really easy to make. All you need is vodka (or rum, so I'm told), vanilla beans (2-3), and a tight-fitting jar. I keep reading that the vodka-to-bean ratio should be one cup per 3 beans. Since my jar only came with 2 beans, I picked a smaller jar so somewhat even it out.
Guestimation. It's what I do.
So, I gathered my supplies:
Take a paring knife and split the beans lengthwise leaving them intact on each end.
Place them in the jar and cover the beans with vodka.
Now, close the jar and store it in a cool, dark place (aka, my pantry) for 2 months.
Yes, you read that right. Two months. Which is why I made a label for mine. I have a problem where I make stuff, then forget when I made it. So now I know: by March 16th (at the earliest), I will have made-from-scratch vanilla extract! As you use it, you just top it off with more vodka and give it a good shake or two. If this goes over well, I'm going to make some to give as gifts this year at Christmas.
I'll keep you posted on the results!
No comments:
Post a Comment