But this is not true. My mother did not teach me how to cook. Mom did something even better. She let me tear up her kitchen. She let me drag every utensil, bowl and ingredient out of the cabinets and experiment to my hearts content. She let me burn dishes, screw up, forget to add things and fish out shell pieces from eggs.
Mom never gave me a "do-and-don't" lecture. Instead, whenever I had a question about a certain technique or ingredient, she was always more than willing to answer the question and gently nudge me in the right direction. I was never scolded for breaking a dish or messing something up. I was always, always reminded that a cook always cleans up her messes. I'm actually still learning that one.
Before long, I was starting to make the grocery lists and it was surprising how I started to know and understand the contents of our pantry. I started thinking about how certain things would taste if paired with other things. I learned about timing, which when it comes to putting an entire meal together, is everything.
As soon as I got my drivers license, I was going to the grocery store on a regular basis. I learned how much food to buy and how much it cost. I learned how to plan meals so the food I purchased wouldn't spoil in the fridge.
Moving out of the house (and away from Mom's excellent gourmet kitchen), having this knowledge base and a freedom from fear when it comes to all things culinary came in handy. I was able to use what I had learned in my mother's kitchen to adapt to less-than-ideal surroundings, making it possible to make delicious meals in any setting.
Now, Mom trusts me with any family gathering that involves food. Personally, I think she'd rather watch the grandkids than watch a souffle, so it's a win-win.
Whenever I hear someone say that they don't know how to cook, I never know what to say. I know my face has a deer-in-headlights expression, but it baffles me that people honestly say that and believe it. My response (to myself) is usually, "well, just get in the kitchen and cook!"
So thank you, Mom, for never letting me think that cooking was something I couldn't do. That despite the messes and screw-ups, preparing an excellent meal from scratch was something that I can do and enjoy the entire process, not just the end result.
No comments:
Post a Comment