Monday, March 7, 2011

Favorites

When I was pregnant with our second, Sam, the subject of "favorites" came up quite a bit. About half of the people who brought this up mentioned that I wouldn't have favorites, that instead I would "love them the same." The other half admitted that while I would love both of my children, I would have a natural favoring toward one or another for whatever (typically an inexplicable) reason.

Now that we're 5 months into kid #2, I have a little bit I'd like to say about favorites.

First, there's Jack.



He's almost three years old, stubborn and strong-willed, just like his Mama. He is clever and funny and at times very tenderhearted. He is 110% boy. He is also my first. Jack is the kid who has taught me how to be a parent.

For almost 2 and a half years, Jack has been my sidekick, my constant companion, my little helper, my alarm clock.

Then there's Sam.


The boy who looks like me. Sure, Jack has my eyes, but here's a comparison between Sam and me, when I was about 6 months:



Which is which?!?

Sam. My sick baby. The baby I wasn't sure I'd be able to conceive. The brother I wanted for Jack. Sam is easy-going, low-maintenance, and so, so sweet. Sam has dimples and blue eyes, how could I not love that?!?

Last, but not least, there's Kyle.



Yes, Kyle. The boy who taught me that "settling down" is not synonymous with "settling." Kyle knew that motherhood would be my greatest task and that children would be my greatest treasure long before I did, and still believes that I am strong and capable and intelligent, especially when I think my life is a never-ending stream of diapers, bottles, spit-up, temper tantrums, and multiplying piles of laundry. Kyle made me a wife and a mother.

So I guess I have favorites after all. I have three.



2 comments:

Kyle said...

Thanks babe. We love you too.

Anonymous said...

Oh...this is just so sweet and so true! I loved reading this and thanks for sharing these thoughts and pictures!! :-)

Love you all!

pammy

Post a Comment