Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homemade Ravioli

A few nights ago, I decided to make ravioli for dinner. I had never made ravioli before, and I wanted to make it all from scratch, including the dough.


I took a page from the Pioneer Woman's playbook, and photographed the process. However since A) I am not the Pioneer Woman and B) I'm not pretending to be, I didn't take as many photos and I don't have a handy-dandy recipe to print out. We'll see how this works.


First, the Cast of Characters:


flour, salt, eggs (in the bowl), olive oil. What is not shown here is water. I didn't show it because the recipe I used (from Tyler Florence) didn't list it, although it is very much needed and therefore shows the flaw in Florence's recipe (sorry, Ty, get it together).


I am not going to give you the entire play-by-play because I'm lazy and have high-energy kids and don't really want to become a food blogger.


So here's what I did: I made the dough and rolled it out by hand because I don't own a pasta maker, even though my KitchenAid mixer has an attachment for that (I just haven't bought it yet, it's pretty pricey).


Rolling it out by hand made the dough thicker than I would have liked, but again, I'm not ready to invest in the pasta maker/roller thing for the mixer.




Then, I scooped the filling onto the dough in little mounds. Well, I thought they were little mounds. They actually turned out to be pretty big mounds as far as ravioli mounds tend to go.


I then gently placed another sheet of not-so-thin pasta dough on top and pressed around the mounds, trying to seal them. I did alright.


After that, I cut the ravioli into squares. They also make fancy-pants ravioli square makers (I love using technical terms), but I don't have one of those either. Basically, this isn't Italian pasta so much as WASP pasta. I am who I am.





Then came the boiling part, which I did not photograph because I was too busy boiling pasta and reheating sauce I had made earlier in the day.


But here's a picture of the end result:




Kyle thought it was pretty good. He had seconds. I thought it was good, albeit a little chewy. If I decide to make this a regular event, I may invest in the dough roller, but for now I think I'll stick to other forms of pasta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are Wonder Woman....I'm sure I've said that before, but if not, let me repeat...You. Are. Wonder Woman! I am glad you rolled up your sleeves and dove into this recipe and I'm glad it turned out well :) Next I will see pics of a chemistry set and you showing how to split atoms :)

Post a Comment