Friday, January 7, 2011

Seasons


When I lived in France, I learned much more about food than I realized at the time. I also learned quite a bit about its cultural importance in France. In fact, I had a professor tell me that he and his wife "had" to get a divorce because she was from northern France (where they cook primarily with butter) and he was from southern France (where they cook primarily with olive oil), and apparently, there is no middle ground in the butter-versus-olive oil debate.

*Sigh*

Leave it to the French to value their food over their marriages. While I may not agree with it, my taste buds are grateful for this level of culinary dedication.

It was while I was living in France that I was just starting to stretch and grow as a home cook, and whether I realized it at the time or not, I realize now that there is such a thing as "seasonal" food. I'm not just talking about what's fresh at the farmer's market this week or traditional meals like turkey on Thanksgiving. There are simply certain foods I will not fix during certain times of the year, regardless of their availability. I will not serve cold soups and salad Nicoise during the month of December, for instance. Likewise, you will never catch me cooking a pot roast with all the trimmings in July.

And, perhaps as a sub-conscious hat tip to my professor, I cook mainly with olive oil during summer months, but during the winter months, where the keyword is "hearty", I mix in plenty of butter as well.

This concept of seasonal foods did not become apparent to me, however, until I got married. My husband, Kyle, is from the sunny, warm state of Florida, and the change of seasons is even more melded there than in our great state of Mississippi. Because of this, he doesn't exactly recognize seasonal foods the way I do.

First, most items are in season year round in Florida.

Second, if his mother didn't cook a pot roast unless it was colder than 75 degrees, they may never eat it. And speaking of his mother, she is the Queen of Comfort Food. I have learned quite a bit from her already, but as it looks like we're going to be a "house of boys," I may just have to start taking notes every time we visit.

But I digress.

Anyway, Mississippi is not very cold. For those of you who enjoy gardening, we are in the middle of Zone 8 (whereas Kyle comes from a high-9 area). In fact, it can only be called "cold" when one compares it to a place like Florida. Or Cuba. However, we do have months that are colder than others and because of that, I do practice the art of seasonal cooking. We are currently in one of those "colder" months. It's January, and even though the weather outside is balmy, windy and delightfully sunny, I'm still going to fix piping hot soups, sizzling steaks with a side of oven roasted potatoes, and my weekends revolve around the making and baking of fresh, hot bread.

Kyle is funny about it. He'll come home from work and ask what's for dinner.

"French onion soup, hot baguettes and pot roast!" I'll declare.

If he asks for something a little lighter, I look at him like he's from another planet.

"Sorry, honey," I reply. "That's summer food."

He seriously doesn't get this.

I do make one concession on his behalf. It is always, always Cuban food season.

What can I say? I've gotta keep my man happy.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go cook onions in butter and heavy cream and prepare some big, fat juicy steaks for dinner.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

That definitely explains why I put on so much weight during the colder months.

Post a Comment