Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Planning for the 4th of July on the 1st of February

The year Kyle and I got married went something like this:

January-May: wedding planning, parties, showers.
Early May: wedding
Mid-May: honeymoon
Late May: trip to Florida (with my parents) to visit my new in-laws
Early June: began new job with inner-city ministry

So, by the time the 4th of July rolled around, we were exhausted and really didn't want to do anything for the 4th beyond eat hamburgers and watermelon and swim at my parents house. Which is exactly what we did. Little did we know, it would jump-start a 4th of July tradition that is continuing to evolve even as I type this.

Growing up, we really didn't have a "tradition" for the 4th of July like we did for other holidays. There were several summers where we spent the 4th on our friends ranch in Texas. The dads would buy a bunch of fireworks (which my sister and my friends brother would steal). The guys would go out rattlesnake hunting, my friend and I would stay close to the ranch house and fly kites or play in the water hose. I have very fond memories of that ranch.

There were quite a few summers I spent in France. Celebrating the 4th of July in Paris is odd and lonely for an American, especially when it's followed so closely by Bastille Day, July 14th.

I'd like to take this moment to address the French directly:

Dear France,
While I love your food, your countryside, and your many quirks, I do not love Bastille Day. It seems odd and barbaric to me that you should celebrate a day when revolters stormed a prison, freed its inmates and then starting chopping off the heads of the entire upper class. I'm not saying that reform wasn't needed, I'm just saying I find it odd that you should continue to celebrate it. Thank you for creme brulee. That is all.

Anyway, since our marriage, the 4th of July has become the holiday where we stay in town and spend the long weekend relaxing, swimming and eating. Because of this, the 4th of July has become in my mind the holiday of food. You might think that's what Thanksgiving is for, but let's face it, Thanksgiving is expecting a big spread. The fourth is just happy with watermelon and burgers. And maybe some corn on the cob.

While we do have a few birthdays, an anniversary, and Easter (let's not forget our holiest of holidays--just a simple, elegant meal here), the 4th is the biggest food blowout we experience once Christmas is finished, and I think I spend just as much time prepping, planning and cooking for the 4th as I do for Christmas. And there are just as many food requests: grilled corn on the cob, burgers, raspberry sorbet, mint tea, Smith county watermelon (we're watermelon snobs--no one will eat a watermelon unless it comes from Smith county, Mississippi. And with good reason.).

This year, I think I'm going to up the ante. As the chill of February beats against my windows, my mind is on the heat of July, the refreshing water of the pool, the smell of meat on the grill and the sound of the ice cream making churning away.

This year, I am going to make blackberry ice cream. And fresh guacamole (we usually just have salsa). And caramelized onions for the burgers. Actually, no burgers. Steak. Steak bites. Yes, that is what we're doing. And when I make my vanilla custard ice cream, I'm going to use vanilla paste instead of vanilla extract.

I may even make red velvet cake with white cream cheese icing, topped with blueberries. I always have to have a red, white and blue dessert.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find our pool toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment