Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Charleston

We just returned from a trip to Charleston, South Carolina. We were originally supposed to go for a wedding (which did happen, but more on that later), but we thought, “why stop there?!?” So, we decided to make a family vacation out of it, take the boys and go a few days early.


I am so glad we did.


Charleston is my new favorite city. When I first started researching it, the sheer amount of historical landmarks, places to visit, and things to do seemed a little overwhelming. I decided to just ear- mark a few pages in the guide book and pick activities once we got there and got settled in.


After driving all night (and morning--the trip took us a little over 11 hours), we entered Charleston to what? Marshes. Gorgeous, beautiful marshes. For starters, no one told me that Charleston was so naturally beautiful (I kept hearing about the charming old buildings). I instantly fell in love. I wanted to stop the car on the side of the interstate and take pictures, but the boys were ready to get out of the car.




We visited the aquarium and the USS Yorktown (more on that later as well), drove through the historic district (where we saw Lois Lane Realty--how cool is that?!?).


We had to get a photo:



Then, on Friday night, we left the boys with a (highly recommended) babysitter and went to the rehearsal dinner at the Old Exchange.



The Old Exchange is one of the places the Constitution was ratified. There is a pirate prison in it’s dungeon (totally cool!!!!) and George Washington visited and spoke there.


Seriously.


We ate the rehearsal dinner in the same room that George Washington and other Founding Fathers debated the greatest document ever written by man.


Unbelievable.





The trip was too short. I told Kyle that he’s going to have to take me back. Maybe as part of a big family trip on our way to Washington D.C.?

Yes. I think that’s what we’ll have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment