I love the ulu. For those unfamiliar, this is a curved knife that is used primarily in Alaska for a host of tasks, but mainly for skinning and de-boning fish and game meats.
My mother bought one during our trip to Alaska in 1984, perhaps just as a novelty, but I grew up using this simple, yet fantastic, kitchen utensil. When I left home, I left behind the ulu. It was, after all, my mothers.
But, oh how I remembered the ulu! Perfect for chopping herbs, halving sandwiches, and cutting meats. Why doesn't everyone use one of these? And why, oh why, didn't I have one of my own. After all, I have been back to Alaska since 1984.
However, it wasn't until this past year, while my parents were up there on vacation that my mom called and asked me if I wanted an ulu. I honestly couldn't believe she was asking me. In my opinion, that was like asking me if I needed forks for eating. So, she bought me one. At laaaaaast! My very own ulu! My kitchen was complete.
No comments:
Post a Comment