Thursday, June 2, 2011

"White Tent, Please, Mommy!"

At least a dozen times a day, Jack walks up to me and politely says, "white tent, please, Mommy." My job at this point is to take the couch cushions of our white couch and arrange them into a makeshift tent for Jack to crawl up in.

This is what it looks like after he has run into it and destroyed it:


We love "white tent." Sometimes, if he's sleepy, he calls it, simply, "cave." As his mother, I'm supposed to know exactly what he means. And I do.

"White Tent" has always been Jack's thing. He loves caves, forts, tents, anything he can crawl in and pretend in. Sometimes he hides things in there (I've found everything from waffles to an electric toothbrush), and sometimes, he just hides himself.


Lately, he's been warming up to Sam. I think this is because Sam is becoming more mobile and requiring less attention from me. Jack and Sam have been having regular "laugh offs" and Jack hasn't flipped out when Sam crawls over to him.

Today, however, something different happened.

Sam approached Jack's precious White Tent.

And Jack responded with laughter.



Sam was very curious about what was going on. He adores Jack and wanted to be included. I don't think he even cared what Jack was doing, just as long as Jack let him in on the action.

And today, Jack did.

Sam wasn't even tentative about it, either.


And he was rewarded with Jack's smiling face.

Jack lowered his voice, and laid down where Sam could see him better. They laughed and "talked" and for the first time, I'm not sure who was having more fun, but I am so thankful I was able to capture it.

I think Jack is finally beginning to realize how much fun it is to have a brother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Leslie, that is SO precious!! Love, Mom

Post a Comment