Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Garden Update: Late Spring

So, we're a few weeks into the garden and here's what it looks like right now:


If you're thinking, "that green snake looks fake," then you are correct. That is Jack's toy snake that I threw out there to keep the birds from eating my seeds and he has done an excellent job. All my seedlings came up and are thriving. Let's take a close look...


Broccoli.

Yum. I've never grown it before, but I figured, why not? This should be fun. I really love experimenting in the garden, and I made sure it wouldn't conflict with anything else I planted, and so far, it seems to be thriving.


Carrots.

They, too, have done really well so far, and are growing up and around all the beans and peas. They're just so cute--very rigid and uniform. I think I may start planting carrots every year.


Asparagus.

Again, our asparagus is growing like wildfire. Plus, I planted 20 more crowns, bordering the garden and the extras went to the mint bed. Eight were purple asparagus crowns and 12 were the "standard" Mary Washington. I didn't exactly plant them perfectly, so they might not all make it, but already several of them have sent up little baby asparagus shoots. Of course, I won't start harvesting until next year, but it's nice to know that we have more on the way.


Cucumbers.

I always plant cucumbers. I train them to climb up trellis's leaned up against the house and they just take off. Last year I had enough for pickles, but I didn't have enough energy to make pickles because in addition to growing a garden, I was growing baby Sam. Pickles are a goal of mine this summer.

I've also planted some buckwheat to help in a couple of ways. First, I have used it quite successfully as weed control. Buckwheat grows super fast and will crowd out the weeds. Then, when it's about 3 or 4 inches tall, I get some kitchen shears and cut it down to the ground, leaving the cuttings on the ground. That again helps the weeds, but also works as a great "green mulch." Jack had fun helping me plant the buckwheat, because we basically took a big handfuls of it and just threw it in the garden.

In addition to the cucumbers being covered in flowers, the squash have about 15-20 blossoms each, so I am looking forward to posting photos soon of our first harvest.


No comments:

Post a Comment